Jeffrey J. Lederman, a Partner with the California law firm of Joseph, Cohen & Del Vecchio, is an AV peer review rated attorney with 38 years of experience. Mr. Lederman has an outstanding track record as a trial lawyer, specializing in complex commercial disputes in State and Federal Court in the areas of technology, real estate, banking, and insurance. Mr. Lederman’s experience includes consumer and commercial class actions, contract and warranty claims, business torts, the Uniform Commercial Code, and consumer protection statutes.
Mr. Lederman has recently received the following awards and honors:
- Selected as the exclusive California Litigation Client Choice award recipient in the 2013 edition of Client Choice Guide – USA & Canada
- Named as one of only 318 attorneys nationally in the 2011 BTI Client Service All-Star annual report published by the BTI Consulting Group, recognizing attorneys for exceptional client service. Mr. Lederman received his second BTI Client Service All-Star recognition in 2016 as one of only 312 attorneys
- In 2017, Mr. Lederman received his third recognition from the BTI Consulting Group as one of only eight Client Service Super All-Star Attorneys after being nominated by multiple clients.
Representative clients include NetApp, Vocera Communications, Barracuda Networks, Hoya Corporation, Zhone Technologies, HG Capital, Newbury Ventures, and Wing Inflatables, Inc. Representative commercial litigation experience includes:
- $9 million recovery on behalf of Fortune 500 company in connection with defective power supplies incorporated into client’s multi-billion dollar product line of large-scale storage devices.
- $3 million award in client’s favor following two week complex commercial AAA arbitration hearing before a retired judge finding misrepresentation, breach of representations and warranties and reformation of contract against the selling shareholders of a company manufacturing inflatable boats and related equipment for military and commercial customers.
- $5.3 million award in client’s favor (including recovery of attorney fees) following a two week complex commercial and construction AAA arbitration hearing before a three-member arbitration panel concerning a large commercial solar energy project in Cranbury, NJ.
- Representation of a public snack food company in multiple class actions involving consumer claims and commercial class-action waiver/arbitration issues
- Defense judgment for public company and its directors following trial against plaintiff shareholder in an attempt to invalidate annual shareholder’s meeting and oust incumbent director to obtain board seat
- Representation of a public company in connection with a $70 million international laser diode contract and related counterclaims
- Representation and complete defense judgment in favor of a public technology client in international arbitration concerning sale of client’s products to the Italian government for its embassies in more than 100 countries around the world, including recovery of attorneys’ fees
Mr. Lederman also represents lenders, developers and other companies in real estate and related complex commercial litigation, including matters involving construction defect and delay, landlord tenant, real estate financing, and real estate purchase and sale contract issues. Representative experience in these areas includes:
- Representation of a well-known financial institution in the prosecution of a $20 million project finance dispute involving multiple rest homes, complicated real and personal property security issues, and receivership; client recovered 100% of the principal, interest and attorneys’ fees.
- Representation of public company in connection with $25 million in long term leases and rights of first offers on their facilities against the owners, brokers and others involved in depriving the client of its purchase rights, and related insurance disputes.
- Successful defense and cross-complaint for dissolution and accounting for 73% owners of a $25 million shopping center against managing partner and other associates, affirmed on appeal.
- Successful judgment for a major regional bank against a borrower involving a fraudulently obtained loan secured by real property.
- Successful jury trial verdict on behalf of commercial developers to recover damages against former tenants concerning soil and groundwater contamination.
- Representation of lenders in litigation claims against (and workouts with) borrowers involving commercial loans secured by real estate, including successfully opposing injunctions to prevent foreclosure and related litigation against guarantors.
These results do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.
Mr. Lederman’s past law firm experience includes:
- Partner with Winston & Strawn LLP and for seven years Head of its San Francisco Litigation Group.
- Partner in the Palo Alto office of Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich (now part of DLA Piper).
Mr. Lederman was one of several attorneys featured in Martindale-Hubbell’s Counsel to Counsel January 2011 spotlight on class actions. He has also served as a member of the Uniform Commercial Code Committee of the State Bar of California and chair of its Article 2 Subcommittee, as well as a volunteer in the East Palo Alto Volunteer Attorney Program.
Mr. Lederman was awarded his Juris Doctor degree from the University of California at Davis in 1982, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. In 1981, Mr. Lederman served as an extern to Justice Otto Kaus of the California Supreme Court. He received a B.S. in Chemistry, with honors, from the University of California at Davis in 1977, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Partner and SCCA racer Jeff Lederman in his Joseph, Cohen & Del Vecchio-sponsored Stohr-Dauntless Prototype 1, Pacific Raceways, Kent, WA, May 2015. Click Image to Enlarge.